Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)Come Tumbling Down by Seanan McGuire

Small Spoiler Alert - no major plot points, but I do talk about some of what's in the book. If you're planning to read it and want all surprises, maybe read this review later.

While this book was really good, it didn't capture me quite as completely as a couple of the previous Wayward Children books did. It felt a little . . . fragmented? And not just because that's what Jack was experiencing, but because when the whole troupe goes on the quest to help one of their own, there are suddenly a lot of different interests and perspectives that we're supposed to care about (and we do! we really do!), but when I care in too many directions that pulls me away from the main thread of the book. Ensemble books have always been problematic for me for this reason, so within this series the even numbered books tend to be my favorite because they are the portal fantasies . . . Anyways, I always feel a little scatterbrained trying to review the Wayward Children books, because there are just SO many threads weaving through the series, and packed into such small books, so I'm just going to highlight my favorite things:

(1) We get to tie off Jack & Jill's thread, which has been loose since book 1. Relief.
(2) We get to spend time in the Moors, and grow to know it even more. Monsters are cool, except when they're not. And that's when we depose them.
(3) The mad science of the Moors is basically magic, and I loved all of it.
(4) Sumi with a whaling hook = Amazing Chaotic Good. Also she keeps up her habit of sharing incredibly insightful wisdom when you least expect it.
(5) Christopher is becoming such a treasured character for me. I really hope we get his story soon.

My final thoughts would be that even though I super love the portal fantasies, I do see the books that take place at the school as an integral part of the series. They illustrate how well the wayward children understand and accept each other, and this one shows how far they will go to see one of their own safely home, even when they have no idea if/when they themselves will ever get home. There's just so much strength of self, and a heartbreaking beauty, in that kind of support. I'm already looking forward to the next one, which is supposed to be another portal fantasy! ^-^


“No one should have to sit and suffer and pretend to be someone they’re not because it’s easier, or because no one wants to help them fix it.”
“Sometimes heroism is pressing on when the ending is already preordained.” 
  “New things are the best kind of magic there is.”

Comments