A Certain Kind of Starlight by Heather Webber
A Certain Kind of Starlight by Heather WebberA Certain Kind of Starlight is cozy magical realism with lots of talk of baking, family, and finding our way back to who we want to be. The baking tips that precede each chapter were great, the tone was in the voice of the characters, but the advice would serve the reader in their own kitchen. Those tips might have actually been my favorite detail of the book!
I picked this title up because I enjoyed Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe, and was interested in trying more from the author. This was one very similar. Probably a little too similar to my taste if I'm honest. I definitely like the general themes of family, community, and coming back to oneself, but could've done with more novelty in the details between the two books. The protagonists also have to make several leaps in logic to tie up remaining threads for the reader at the end. This could've been done more convincingly and gradually for a more effective reveal.
That said, on it's own, this is an easy read with lots of good baking moments, cuddly animals, and a couple good cases of terrible people getting what's coming to them.
Comments
Post a Comment