The Lost Queen

The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy, #1)The Lost Queen by Signe Pike

This book was recommended to me by someone last year, and sadly I don't remember who, but it was someone I trusted enough to add it to my 'books to find' list, and I'm quite happy that I finally got around to doing just that!

The Lost Queen is an Arthurian legend, specifically the story of a lost queen of Scotland named Langoureth and her twin brother Lailoken. I definitely have a soft spot for medieval legends, and it'd been a while since I read one, so this book was a welcome addition to this month's TBR stack. We begin with Langoureth & Lailoken as children just after the death of their mother, and around a time when there is a lot of unrest and upheaval in the surrounding kingdoms. Christianity is gaining some headway in Scotland, and at the same time there are still many who practice the Old Ways, causing some pockets of tension. A man named Emrys Pendragon is gaining notoriety in some of the contested parts of the land, and Langoureth & Lailoken are almost of age to be treated as adults in their world. This is where our story begins.

Pike weaves a tale of loss, love, magic, duty, betrayal, political & religious unrest and changing times in medieval Scotland. It is by turns enchanting and real. The setting and events are those from another time, but the human troubles and decisions faced by our characters are real and relatable. The only bad thing I discovered upon finishing this book is that we'll have to wait until Fall for book 2.

“I have been a drop in the air. I have been a shining star. I have been a word in a book."

“We may not always have the choice we would like. But we always have a choice.” 

Comments