Deerskin

DeerskinDeerskin by Robin McKinley

When I added this to my TBR list, I had a few friends reach out and let me know that it was a really good book, but had some brutal moments. I appreciated those warnings because I did some research and then waited to read it until I was in a good mental place. So I'm starting this review with a trigger warning. This book has some really tough stuff in it. If rape or incest are triggers for you, be aware and take care of yourself.

This is a retelling of Donkey Skin, a fairy tale published in the 1600's that has mostly faded into history, for understandable reasons, but McKinley handles it very well. Lissa is our main character, and her growth through the events of the story, and the conversation this book has around healing from trauma, are so authentic. There is some very real imagery of Lissa's body purging the wrong done to her at the end of the book, and they are powerful, painful and beautiful. While there are definitely fairytale and magical elements that play into Lissa's story, they work to enhance the journey she is on, not to remove it from her real experience. They remind her to take time to heal, they offer her space to live without being found by what she flees, they help her find the way forward.

Any review of this book would not be complete without mentioning Ash, Lissa's dog, as much a character as any of the human ones, and more human than most. The relationship between Lissa and Ash is built on loyalty, love and shared experience. The most heart-warming part of this book is Lissa's dogs. They are terrific, and the pack has such a supportive dynamic around her.

Deerskin is definitely a difficult read, but when I had the space to do it, it was worthwhile.

Comments