The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

I have been recommending this book right & left since I finished it. Chambers' voice & storytelling style feels a bit like Douglas Adams met the cast of Firefly. Our story follows the crew of a spaceship that basically helps build intergalactic freeways as they take on a *huge* job. The highlight of the book though, is the crew themselves. A cast of aliens who are created in brilliant & unique ways, and the corresponding universe building that Chambers had to do in order to have so many fleshed out, believable alien species. Each crew member has a completely unique background, and in several cases physiology, from the rest of their shipmates, while usually managing to co-exist in a relatively peacefully. I enjoyed the alien cross-cultural differences, the adventure, and the interpersonal relationships that grow & develop as the story progresses. An absolutely enjoyable read from start to finish.

Favorite Quotes
"All you can do, Rosemary – all any of us can do – is work to be something positive instead. That is a choice that every sapient must make every day of their life. The universe is what we make of it. It’s up to you to decide what part you will play." 
"Well, if this band hates the establishment that much, then I doubt they’ll care about me making up my own words. They can’t oppress me with their “correct lyrics.” Fuck the system." 
"Behold, my wonderboots! All the kick-ass of an Aeluon assault squad, combined with total ergonomic perfection! It’s podiatric madness! What are they? Are they big tough stompers? Are they comfy kick-arounds? No one knows! There are feats of science happening right over my socks as we speak!" 

Comments