Death Comes to Pemberly

Death Comes to PemberleyDeath Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

I finished the book, but was rather sorry that I did. I didn't really like this book.
I went in hoping for some good wit, and a fun story, but no. The story is told very matter-of-factly, Elizabeth has none of her old fire, and is reduced to a dutiful wife and mother, Darcy is dull and unfortunately the reader spends a lot of time in his head, and all the peripheral characters repeat each others opinions about every circumstance over and over again without adding anything new to the story. Any revelations at the end felt contrived and empty because the journey up to them had been so disappointing. Some of the imagery and prose had potential, and the court proceedings of the time were obviously well-researched, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

Comments